Sunday, May 20, 2012

Long Time Friends

I hesitate to call her my "oldest friend" because she's, really, not that old.  As a matter of fact, she's younger than I am.  I guess "long time friend" would be a more apt description, as I've known her longer than I've known either of my siblings.

Cynthia and I have been friends for 37 years.  Wow!  When I look at that number, it seems like such a long time, but it also seems like just yesterday we were rolling around in the basement of my house as we fought over costumes (sorry about the hair-pulling incident, C!) or having succotash for dinner at her house after walking through the creek to get there.  She is the one who knows most, if not all, of my entire life story and the person that I know I can call WHENEVER with good or bad news and she will always be there to listen.

She is the one who, when I called her last summer to tell her I was pregnant, I had to preface the entire conversation with, "You need to sit down.  No, you REALLY need to sit down!"  After I told her, there was silence on the other end of the phone for a second and she then said, "Hallelujah!  I never thought this day would come and, yet, here it is!"  And her response was just as I'd imagined it would be.

All this to say that, since we both have gotten married and had children, we don't get to see each other as much as we would like nor as often.  Since I've been on maternity leave, I decided that I would take a day and go have lunch with her.  Of course, LE went with me and we had lunch at a wonderful place in T-town called Cyp.ress Inn.  I told Cynthia that I thought the last time I was there was just after I was married, during that first football season, with her and her husband, Brad, which was about 10 years ago, so I was excited to return.

So sweet!

Love that smile!

Lunch was wonderful--both the food and the company.  I hate that we don't get together as often as we used to, but that makes the times we do spend together that much more special.  Thanks for a wonderful day, C!

No comments: