Sunday, October 17, 2010

Loyalty

This is our wonderful 4 1/2 year old chocolate lab, Lola.


She is the daughter of Ken's previous yellow lab, Sebastion, who was a phenomenal dog. When the litter was born, Ken and I discussed it and I told him a couple things about having a dog added to our household: (1) We would not have a yellow lab--following in Sebastion's footsteps would be difficult for any dog to live up to and (2) I was not going to be outnumbered in my own house, so we would have to have a girl puppy.

When we went to see the puppies, there were three chocolate girls, two yellow boys and two black boys, so, of course, we were going to have one of the chocolate girls. Lola was the darkest of the chocolates--so dark, she was almost black--and she was also the runt of the litter. I immediately honed in on her as the one for us. Now, please keep in mind that I picked this dog out.

Fast-forward to today. Lola goes to work with Ken EVERY day and pretty much thinks that if he leaves the house, she's supposed to go too. This morning, Ken was doing some patch work in the shopping center and, because he didn't want Lola getting into the materials he was going to be working with, he left her at home with me.

This is what she did while he was gone:

I was calling her name and trying to get her to look at me, but she was having nothing to do with me.

She has her nose poked through the blinds so she can see when Ken is pulling into the driveway.

She sat on her place at the window like that for over two hours, waiting on him to return. Now THAT'S a loyal dog!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A real "working" dog - yea, right. She will beat you to death with her thumping tail